Sunday, August 1, 2010

Clouds


Yesterday, Ankur got some new books for Diya. One of those is a non-fiction book which introduces the concept of weather to 4-5 year olds, or may be even to older kids. It's from the 'The Cat in the Hat's Learning Library Series', and is actually quite entertaining to read! (You may recall Dr. Seuss' bestsellers like The Cat in the Hat, Green Eggs and Ham ...)

In the evening, I was reading that book to Diya. She was trying her best to show that she was paying attention, but her real focus was to turn each page as soon as I reach the end of the page.  :)

Anyway ... we reached the page which talks about clouds. As soon as I read the first line which goes as "There are all kinds of clouds," she exclaimed, "I know! I learnt it in our daycare!" She continued, "There are three kinds of clouds. One of them is called Cirrus", and she points to the right picture. "Then there is the Cumulus, which are the big white ones", she again points to the right picture.

Then finishes her monologue with the following: "There is one more, which is black and makes the rain, but I forgot name of it."

It took me a few attempts to read and pronounce the name of the third kind. It's called 'Cumulonimbus'!

Not a bad performance for a 4 & 1/2 year old (who can barely read a 3 or 4 lettered word). What do you say? ;)

2 comments: